Monday, September 27, 2010

Is one wife enough?

I caught the season premier of Sister Wives on TLC last night... Well I didn't exactly "catch" it because I chose to watch it, looked forward to it and made sure my schedule was cleared to watch! I'm not sure why but I've always watched intently these types of shows. Polygamy is something I don't understand. Perhaps that is why I watch?



So, is one wife enough? I mean does living a polygamous lifestyle keep your spouse from "straying?" I mean straying that you don't know about? I know that personally I've felt like I wasn't enough before. Not all the time but we probably all have felt like we just couldn't be a good enough wife, mother, daughter, sister etc. So, for that reason I kind of understand the theory. This doesn't mean I agree or think it's right.

I know that from what I've seen, this lifestyle has a basis in faith and religion. I don't understand how and haven't really tried to learn anything about it. I don't think the decision protects you from a cheating husband though. In sister wives, Kody is bringing in a 4th wife after 16 years with his first three wives. The wives made a comment that they were thinking it was time because "it was starting to get boring." Yikes!

I've honestly always thought that the lifestyle allowed men to have their cake and eat it too. I've always wondered about the children as well. I've seen movies that portray the "compound" lifestyle and that seems really sad to me. Of course I'm not trying to judge anyone. I'm just trying to wrap my little mind around the logic.

So, what is the point of this post?

I have no idea!

4 comments:

Katie said...

If they're FLDS, then they basically believe that the more wives and children they have, the closer they are to the celestial kingdom. It's really sad. I was watching a documentary on polygamy the other day and a former polygamist wife said that she prostituted herself to get into heaven. How heartbreaking!

Anyway, I have this dvr'ed, I need to watch it tonight!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jules! I was just thinking that watching this show is one of those train-wreck fascinations, you know? I've watched a few episodes and though I think it's a crazy lifestyle, it's fascinating to watch! :) Honestly, though, I can't even imagine how hard it would be to share my husband with other wives. It seems to me that it would be like living with a constant feeling of heartbreak. I suppose for people who are raised in that lifestyle, it's more "normal" to them, but the feminist in me just cringes when I see women choosing to live that way.

Thou Art Jules said...

Katie - I don't know how i missed your comment! I have seen things that led me to believe exactly what you said. I don't really know though. I should research it a little. I don't like not understanding something :-)

Thou Art Jules said...

Brandy - Train-wreck is exactly right! I don't know why I watch but kind of cant stop myelf. I watch other things too like 19 kids and counting which I understand a little better!

I can't imagine how you could "humble" yourself enough to share your spouse in that fashion. Then again, I don't understand the basis behind it and plan to do some research!

I'm participating in the Nanowrimo this year. Perhaps I'll write about one woman in this type of marriage. Then I'll get a novel written and get my research all in one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...