Thursday, October 22, 2009

Children are so smart!

My oldest daughter called today. We had such a great talk! She has been going to a church with some of our family members. She told me that the reason she through such a fit about going to CCD classes when I wanted her to go when she was younger was because she felt like she was starting 1/2 way through. She said she didn't know the prayers and everyone else did, that she felt pretty stupid in the setting. Oh how I wish she had told me this then! It brings up a good point for me now though. So, I need to work with my children to teach them what they don't already know so they will feel at home and comfortable.

I was even thinking of maybe ordering some Catholic educational information maybe even starting at a younger age so they can get the basics and then work forward. I feel that ordering or finding some things online will help me teach them since I'm learning too!

Frank Runyeon will be here Saturday to do the Sermon on the Mount and a talk about Hollywood vs Faith for teens and preteens. I'm pretty excited about that and hope the kids will enjoy it!

4 comments:

Sarah - Kala said...

Amen! Glad that you're talking. :) Many prayers for you guys.

Shieldmaiden96 said...

When I 'did RCIA' I was given an excellent program; lots of 'not just what but why' of what we believe. They started out basic but were no no way condescending. If I was home and my memory wasn't under-caffienated I could tell you which one it was. I will repost that info. :)

Karyn @ Candarbry Garden said...

I have 3 sons, 17,14, &12. I have been trying to get them interested in the youth programs at our church, but no one seems to want to go on a regular basis, sure they want to go on movie night, or game night, but not when it is just "youth group". Why don't we have a rewind button, I would go back just a few years, and get them involved much younger. I know that kids in church stay on a much narrower path than others. Keep up the good work. Your kids have a praying momma, and that is what it takes. (and a whole lot of advil).
Karyn

Thou Art Jules said...

We haven't ventured to youth groups yet and are just starting to get our feet wet with CCD, RCIA and RCIC classes. But they have a great group for my sons age that does things during the week. They are bowling this week but he has never been before so we are thinking maybe next week would be good to start that. He is in the school musical and has practice 1-3 days each week after school depending. He is very social and will probably LOVE any type of youth program at this point! I wish I had stayed in RCIA several years ago and my middle daughter would probably be right at home now.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...