Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Grace

I always do a Yahoo image search or Photobucket searching for images to match my post. Today was a tough one! In more ways than one. I have sucessfully managed to get sidetracked from my "studying" of The Essentials of Faith from our RCIA class. I have been tempted to go off in one direction or another throughout the journey through this book. Things peak my curiosity and I want to learn everything I can about whatever it is. Or I don't understand. That is what has brought me to todays topic.

GRACE

What the heck is it!?

I was going to list here mentions of grace in this book I'm reading but quickly learned that this post would be way too long if I did that! Grace is mentioned in this book (The Essentials of the Faith) more times than the word covenant, creation, family, heaven..

The only words that are mentioned more often are "faith", "Jesus Christ" and "prayer." That's pretty impressive and tells me that this "grace" whatever it is.. is pretty darn important!

OK so, the Catechism says (1987) The grace of the Holy Spirit has the power to justify us.."
(1989) "The first work of the grace of the Holy spirit is conversion.."
(1996) "Our justification comes from the grace of God. Grace is favor, the free and undeserved help that God gives us to respond to his call to become children of God.."
(1997) "Grace is a participation in the life of God... by Baptism the christian participates in the grace of Christ.."
(1999) "The grace of Christ is the gratuitous gift that God makes to us of his own life... It is the sanctifying or deifying grace.."
(2000) "Sanctifying grace is an habitual gift, a stable and supernatural disposition that perfects the soul itself to enable it to live with God, to act by his love. Habitual grace, the permanent disposition to live and act in keeping with gods call.."
(2001) "The preparation of man for the reception of grace is already a work of grace. .."
(2003) "Grace is first and foremost the gift of the Spirit.. But grace also includes the gifts that the Spirit grants us... "

So.. I am still confused! lol
Maybe my mind operates on an analytical wave length causing such things to be completely over my head? Perhaps I am over thinking.. over analyzing? haha

Interestingly enough a book arrived today from paperbackswap.com by Max Lucado that includes "In the Grip of Grace." Perhaps I shall pray, ask for some understanding here and stop scratching my head. I mean yes I have ideas of what grace is but just can't seem to make complete sense of it. Perhaps it's a mystery?

1 comment:

izyperspective said...

Hello Julia, got on your blog by way of YIM Catholic. I became Catholic about 3 years ago. Understand your confusion and struggles with RCIA, been there, done that. I almost blogged about my wrestle with the concept of Grace,one of the most elusive things during my conversion. But I have found it's true that all these things will resolve themselves in due time. Faith really is a matter of the heart, not the mind, though the mind is essential. Blaise Paschal concluded that "the heart has reason that reason does not know." You'll have your Eureka! moment, I promise. And don't give up. You'll never understand certain things until you're on this side of the door. I will pray for you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...